10/31/05

Contents Under Pressure

The plot is Brian and Holly have been best friends for 6 years who get drunk and screw on New Year's, and how the aftermath of that plays itself out throughout the year.

So, here are a few suggestions on how to handle me during these next few weeks, as my heart is beginning to race despite the fact that I can't start for another four hours.

DO realize I am using our conversations as an effort to take my mind off the fact I'm stupid enough to be doing this.

DO realize anything you say may end up in the novel, modified or not.

DON'T tell me I can't do this, because I've proven conclusively in the past two years that I can't. The whole point of this year is going in with a plan and doing the fucker.

DO offer me constructive criticism, but...

DON'T make me cry for the first time in five years. I's fragile.

DO ask me a bunch of questions. Maybe you've picked up on something I missed, maybe you know better what it's like to be an only child, or work at Starbucks, or start dating your friends (spoiler!)--I can't say I'll use every single last little thing but it's better to get agriculture reports from those who work the soil.

DON'T ask me where that metaphor came from, I don't like it much.

DO remind me stupid people have successfully written novels.

DO mention, every so often, your respect and admiration for me trying this task again despite past failures.

DON'T start laughing until you have gotten out of my hearing range, and in some cases, throwing range.

DO realize this is Priority #1 for me until after Thanksgiving, so if I seem a little meh about going to your Major Social Event or offer up grunts and stinkeyes, that you've caught me on a bad day through the valley of the shadow of death.

DO keep me awake with Big Cups. Sustenance!

DO remember I still care about you, even if the last words out of my mouth were "LEAVE ME THE FUCK ALONE! THAT COMMA JUST UNDID 16 PAGES OF WORK!"

And, of course, DO remember to pick better friends next time.

This post is brought to you BAH: "Changes" by Tupac

5 comments:

Johnny B said...

So will you post pages for us to read/comment?

And don't lose the faith. You have the powah. :)

Butch Rosser said...

I'm debating whether to make the story into a seperate blog, now...

Anonymous said...

If you want my worthless advice, don't post about writing the novel, just write the novel. If you post about it or talk about it, then it probably won't be as fresh when you sit down at the keyboard to write.

Also, feel free to fire off pages to me anytime; I do this "writing" shit for a living, and would be happy to help you or offer constructive criticism.

Anonymous said...

If you need any info about dating friends, schtupping friends, drunken hookups that end up as long term relationships, . . .I'm your man. Dude, I sound like such a perv.

-Dustin

Anonymous said...

I'm hoping that's not the title of your novel. :)