6/20/03

What Say You, Lewis Black? (And The 25 Over 80)

'Cause the way I see it, 7% of our brain functions all the time. Because 99% of everything that happens is the same ol' stuff. But every so often, something like that happens. "If it weren't for my horse, I wouldn't've spent that year in college." And your brain goes Let's figure it out! Son of a bitch, I wonder what THAT'S about!

I'm pretty sure it's all Bob Morris' fault.

So I'm in APA chat, talking about They Might Be Giants. He says THIS gets a reaction when last week I was quoting "Goody Two Shoes" and nothing. I says I was paying attention but you took WAY too damn long to get to the part with Al Green so I said the hell with it. Then there's a brief debate during which the other idiots learn there IS an Al Green part. Then it turns into a thing where I'm thinking of High Fidelity and ask for the top 3 80s songs for everybody. I come up with (and end up throwing away) "The Message" & "Welcome To The Jungle" in lieu of the following:

(03) Public Enemy, "Fight The Power"
(02) Talking Heads, "Once In A Lifetime"
(01) Don Henley, "The Boys Of Summer"

That IS a good list, so good I'm not budging despite misgivings that'll come. You got the rap, you got the new age, and pop before it was a dirty word, and people who don't like that song probably do things like use hand gestures to say "I've got my eyes on you" at work. I put "Sexual Healing" on DQ because it's above the list as my favorite song of all time and thus unfair to whoever's on the list, esp. #25. Besides GnR and Grandmaster Flash, I forgot "Should I Stay Or Should I Go?", "Under Pressure" and "Free Fallin'". Yeesh. Then that jackass Rob reminds of "For Whom the Bell Tolls", which reminds me of "Hell's Bells", which also reminds me that I've forgotten the ENTIRETY of BACK IN FUCKING BLACK

You get the idea.

I need to make a list of #25-#4 with copious room for honorable mentions. I mean, "Everybody Wants To Rule the World"--someone else must respect that song for the nacent genius it holds. And thank/fuck you VH1 for reminding me about "With Or Without You" which leads to the Joshua Tree-- SEE?! "Every Breath You Take". "Walk This Way".

And the decent to madness just kicked into another gear...

No comments: