10/5/04

the Sort Of Intellectual Discourse Usually Reserved For Stodgy Old White Guys On Public Television

This is the awesome thing about my friends: they are all more compassionate and smarter than I.

This means we can have discussions about everything from organized religion to cleavage, sometimes in the span of five minutes.

Since I know what brings in the hits:

Two male friends have a platonic female friend.

Platform A states that the friend's cleavage is nice, and asthetically pleasing on a number of levels.

To counterpoint, Platform B is of the opinion this being a platonic female friend both are very tight with, to ogle her in such a fashion for any reason and any substantial length of time is disturbing and possibly borderline incestual.

So, I leave it to you, the PGE reader: who's right (if anyone, or is it both)?

Ambient music: Blur - Tender

4 comments:

Daniel Womack said...

How do I top that?

One's cleavage in and of itself is just cleavage.
It's when we change how we treat the owner of said cleavage (due exclusively to the cleavage) that it becomes inappropriate.
The mortal human body IS a beautiful creation. I believe that the sacred nature of the human body should be respected and to sexualize it through lustful thoughts not only demeans one's own spirit but it trivializes the body and is irreverant towards the soul that occupies the body.
So while observation and initial thoughts or reaction cannot be controlled the way we process this new information shapes our character. How we react to this new information shows whether or not we respect this person and ourselves or whether we simply are out for a cheap thrill. Instant pleasure vs. true happiness through hard work.

Matt said...

I'm inclined to think that the fact that the conversation is taking place at all is a signal that some sort of line has been inexorably crossed.

That said, I think some of it depends on a) how long they've known each other; and b) since when. If it's only been a few years or so, I think it's OK, 'cause at this age, all we're doing is looking at cleavage. But if it's a deal where you've all known each other for 10-15-20 years, then it's a little weird. Maybe not incestuous, but a little weird.

Though I must quote Seinfeld: "Looking at cleavage is like looking at the sun! You don't stare at it! It's too risky! You get a sense of it, then you look away!"

Anonymous said...

The very fact that someone is showing cleavage, be it friend or stranger, means not only that it is okay to look but they want you to look as well. Cleavage takes work, I would imagine. There are almost as many products out there to produce it as there are women on Earth. So admire it. Even other women discuss and are envious of one another's bust lines. Is it okay to do this about a friend? So long as you don't purposely bump into them face-first and then shake your head like they're cold, I say the answer is a resounding YES!

Anonymous said...

Titties is titties.
Cleavage is cleavage.
I don't care if your my friend or my enemy, if you got tits, I wanna bury my face in them and go BBBBRRRRRRREEEEEWWWSSKKII

-Dustin (aka I love titties)