12/29/03

RoSserPW part one
Warning: Post known to contain wresting and is inspired by the Annual RSPW Awards. Should you not care for this...well, I'll talk my head off about something else very soon.

I miss WOW. And CMLL. I miss there being alternatives.

Mostly I just miss RNN. And that push Matt Hardy had that week.

Best Wrestler
2) Christopher Daniels
1) Eddy Guerrero
--> I've only gotten to see a handful of his matches, but Chris Daniels is your only god. If he was on SmackDown the mark bandwagon would build faster than a Starbucks. Eddy merely does it all: effective scumbag. Effective underdog. Great talker. Awesome wrestler. Good, original gimmick. Five-tool wrestler, and there's about 8 of them left.

Best Tag Team
2) Los Guerreros
1) America's Team--well, that's what I calls them: Shelton Benjamin & Charlie Haas
--> Take two good wrestlers, and give them a gimmick that not only gets them over but is incorporated into their matches--it's real easy sometimes. B&H--assuming they stay together in our hyperspeed time could be the next Midnight Express. They seem to be a TEAM instead of "here's two guys together, go" and the Broken Arrow is the best name for a move outside of Cena's old Killswitch.

Best Heel
2) Rock
1) Chris Jericho
--> Rock was a heel for about two months. That is how good he was--so good, I didn't want to boo him because he was so awesome being a heel. He totally could've half-assed and kept his good Hollywood name. Instead, he was THE reason I started watching RAW again, made me laugh so hard with his second concert I fell off my bed twice AND put over the Hurricane. Triple H, I know Dwayne Johnson. I booed Dwayne Johnson, and I cheered Dwayne Johnson, and you sir (and I use that term loosely) are no Dwayne Johnson. This is the last year, if my Spidey-senses are right, that Jericho's going to be eligible for this. And when Rock left and I was back on the RAW Jihad, the Highlight Reel made me watch if only for 10 minutes. The match he wrestled face with Trish vs. Rico & Jackie he actually changed his wrestling style to be "face" Jericho (inside-outside springboard dropkick anyone?) before switching back to evil at the drop of a hat. And the fans have been trying to get him back since the end of his XIX match. For him to be entertaining and yet get others over at the same time while looking like he could beat anyone not fucking Steph--this one's for you. C'mon baybay!

Best Face
2) Trish Stratus
1) Rey Misterio
--> I'm picking people who've stayed face all year and wrestled all year, and these were the only two. :) In all seriousness, Rey is consistently over no matter where he is and could be seen as a US Title level guy. Plus, the tiny size and high-flying screams "LOVE ME PEOPLE!" Trish, #2 on my ballot and #1 in my pants. A couple divas wrestle better, but none of them look as good or emote quite as well. There were about five reasons to watch RAW during the summer and Trish held up the entire babyface side (you could look it up) of one of the main two. Plus, she keeps on innovating with the Matrish Skipper lean-back counter and the Stratusphere. Maybe it's just because I keep thinking of T & A, then looking at Trish look hot WHILE whomping ass AND YET looking vulnerable but I'm reminded of Kevin Arnold's reaction when Winnie Cooper came back from summer vacation in the first Wonder Years.

Best Worker
2) Kurt Angle
1) Chris Benoit
--> My mildly-interested Dad, actually watching Benoit kick out the jams against A-Train of all people, after a chop sounded off throughout our apartment: Someone forgot to tell the missing tooth guy this is FAKE, didn't they? Nuff said.

Best Flyer
2) Rey Misterio
1) Rob Van Dam
--> Maybe Amazing Red would've gotten in if I'd seen more stuff. But watching the Cinco Estrellas Frog Splash, whether it be standard issue, covering ¾ of the ring and pivoting in mid-air, or off a ladder, is always going to be the bees knees for me.

Best Technical
2) Chris Benoit
1) Kurt Angle
--> Could easily be reversed but Kurt always makes a point of using the amateur stuff in his matches.

Best Brawler
2) Kane
1) Brock Lesnar
--> While I'd rather see Angle/Benoit than Lesnar/Kane, there's a time to chain wrestle and there's a time to punch a guy in his fucking face and knock him on his ass. It's a shame they took the triple powerbomb away from Lesnar since that made him look even more bad-ass cyborgy. Lesnar can do the tech stuff but he's at his best whomping somebody like they eyed his woman, culminating in the F5. Kane? Yes. Maybe it's just the heel turn letting him get in more offense, but when I see Kane punching away the overriding thought in my head is "Boy, would that suck to be me."

Most Favorite
2) John Cena
1) Matt Hardy
--> "Your sister calls me Leprechaun/always after my Lucky Charms". "Me name Brock/here come the pain/God build me STROOOOOONG/forget to give brain". "I'll leave you on the wrong end of a Kobe Bryant violation." A: Name 3 reasons Cena should've won. It's true he flows like a glacier, but conversely one of those took down the Titanic didn't it? Matt Hardy's career reinvention was nothing short of incredible--the awesome gimmick is in place, now somebody give the fucker a push for crying out flayven!

Most Improved
2) Randy Orton
1) Victoria
--> Once upon a time, Randy Orton had his dad's taunt, a goofy-looking backbreaker, a frog splash crossbody, and the Play of the Day. Then he got a personality, and then BAM! He's not The Man or anything, but steps are being made for all the potential we all heard so much about. Victoria went from afterthought to--GASP--being better than Molly Holly in the ring. And she did it on one good leg to boot.

Most Overrated
2) Triple H.
1) TRIPLE H.
--> *siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh*

Best Gimmick
2) Matt Hardy...VERSION 1.
1) WORD LIFE! THIS IS BASIC THUGANOMICS!
--> Dean Rasmussen: If you ain't MFer, you ain't shit. Matt's psychotic cult leader, bringing up Shannon Moore with one hand and Twist of Fating him with the other, always made for quality matches and even better promos. PUSH. Hey, remember P.N. News? Remember the Road Dogg? Cena took a one-off spot on the throwaway Halloween show and turned it into SmackDown's Must See TV. Which verse is going to be the quotable line of the night? Which one is going to make the audience "OH!"? What dirty word do we all get to sing along at the end? "I'm untouchable, but I'm forcing you to feel me." True.

More to come...

Currently playing: Adam Sandler's talking goat sketch

No comments: