4/1/07

You Don't Need To Follow Baseball To Know Cards

Around this time last year--possibly '05, I can't be arsed to remember at this point--Topps released a very limited edition poker set with NBA legends, rookies, and current all-stars. While I didn't have enough to cop the whole set I did have the pocket change to score a George Gervin for my dad and a Clyde Frazier for myself.

Last time I lost in a cash game for the first time since I started playing. I'm usually not superstitious. But then tonight happened, and I'm not so sure.

Clyde ran his undefeated streak to seven or eight with some muhfuggin AUTHORITAH behind it, as I quadrupled up off of my original buy-in to make $40 in my second-biggest profit ever.

Let me amend: I'm usually not superstitious, except when it comes to poker 8x in a row.

There weren't any spectacular plays on my part, and I'm sorry to say for those of you who try to following my quote/unquote career I don't remember a lot of hands. (Mainly just the all-in two pair against my unbeatable nut Ace-high flush.) I played loose-passive, but I'm proud because my original plan was loose-aggressive and then when I got out ahead of the pack I managed to slow myself down and get some straights and flushes on lackluster hands I usually don't fuck with. After that, it was just a big fat hurry up and wait.

Add this with all the freedom, the brand new speakers that work, and my tax refund coming in? Yeah, today rocked the house.

Bring April to me, and I will make it kneel.

Especially if she's pretty.

Son Of A Preacher Man Dusty Springfield

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nothing beats hitting an Ace-high straight on the river and not even knowing it until you turn over your cards. This of course after checking it around the whole way and thusly winning enough for 15 minutes on a parking meter. -Aaron

Daniel Womack said...

And the rousing strategy of "How long can I keep my $10" lasted until 10:50pm. That's just over 2 hours for those who're counting.

Oh, and don't be so sure the chip is helping you out. You've become a damn fine poker player. A damn fine LUCKY poker player.