8/1/06

Suicide Is Painless

It is better to burn out than to fade away.
--Kurt Cobain


That is what I wrote on the eraseboard of my supervisors a short few minutes after I got fired.

Then I hopped across the street to the Marriott and filled out an application. I got a few out already, between them, a couple of local clubs, and Best Buy since the suspension.

I think my getting terminated instead of quitting is a blight, but once they find out the site-specfic reasons why and alongside my prior clean record of 3 years it should lessen the sting.

At least I'm going to be missed. My supervisor was solemn, very sad. One of my few friends around gave me a hug and seemed proud of me, and my favorite supervisor was down because she wasn't going to be watching football with me come Sundays--though if I do get a door job at a club downtown I have to let her in. (Aaron, I told you Karyn liked me. Told ya.)

Nothing from The Best Saturday Ever on its own got me fired, but cumulatively everything did. If I wanted the press I could be saying I got fired because of my love for Veronica Mars. (Love that was shown back, let the record show.) But I knew what could've happen--even if I thought it was going to pan out at the suspension level--and I did it anyway, and made my peace with it as it happened. I told Ivan my friends always looked out for me and blessed me. I just got to find some strangers to do it now.

And to keep up the positives, here's 10 things (at least) I won't miss about work:
  1. The ugliest fucking uniforms this side of the 70's Padres. The best one merely made me look like a milkman. The ugly ones were damn ugly. And now I'll never wear them again.
  2. Working weekends.
  3. Missing football games.
  4. Working New Year's fucking Eve, and Day.
  5. Standing a shitload, which wasn't so bad until I started spending 30 hours a week crashing on Grandma's couch. Which reminds me--
  6. --going from work directly after sleeping at Grandma's.
  7. NO hot girls in our department. NONE. Except my ex, and I already got her, so...
  8. Doctors asking me to write $2 receipts for coat checking their bag. DOCTORS!
  9. Increasingly working someplace where I cared more about the people than the job; the realization that I'm going to miss the people I worked with and the checks.
  10. Let it be known that the people who fired me for this infraction after 3 years of a perfect record in the past 2 weeks suspended me for 30 hours--paid me for 12--and made sure to give me my biggest check of the year on the way out the door.

After the paperwork was done, I was asked if I had anything to say. Could've gone a lot of ways. I settled for "Nothing that wouldn't get me fired."

That's how I spell maturity.

And as one of my Song of the Year candidates so eloquently put it--

Move Along the All-American Rejects (double irony, gotta love it)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm gonna tell people that you karate-chopped Chuck on the way out the door. It's the least I can do. -Aaron

Oricon Ailin said...

I'm sorry to hear you were terminated, Butch. That's not right at all.

However, you seem to taking it with lots of maturity. I'm very proud of you. You know I'll pray for a new job to come along quickly. That's what friends are for.

*HUGS* Good luck on job search!!!

Rob T said...

Well, bleh. That sucks.

You'll get another job, though. Maybe a better one? One can hope./

Anonymous said...

Sooo....

Got a job yet?

Eric said...

Damn, I leave you alone for a minute and you get yourself unempolyed.

Oh well, more time to read what I've been doing lately.