8/25/06

SSSSSSSSSomething Like A Phenomenon

All right.

After the hitch I got roped into on its Opening Night, I finally caught the last show tonight to see the movie everybody's been talking about all summer.

Superman Returns? No.

Pirates 2: Eclectic Water Crew? Pshaw.

Lady In the Water? C'mon.

Let me just sum up the thing as it sums up itself.

Snakes. On. A. Mother. Fuckin'. Plane.

It's not Citizen Kane. Because, for one, Citizen Kane is fucking overrated. You heard me. And secondly, this isn't a comedy where the good stuff all got thrown in the trailer, and it's not a romantic comedy that makes you want to vomit, and it's not a drama trying to be Shakespeare, and it's not a remake of some movie that was way better 30 years ago that never should've been remade to begin with.

It is what it is. Snakes On A Plane.

And you know what the thing of it is?

It actually...doesn't suck. The stereotypes are there and gleefully hammed up, there are tons of pointless deaths, the snakes go crazy and bite everything not named Samuel L. Jackson, there's a bunch of hot babes standing around for no good reason in the background and eventually the main players survive and decide to celebrate their still living by hooking up. But on the way, you know what happens--especially if you know what you're getting into beforehand?

You have a metric shitload of fun. I mean, it scared my friend that I was with a few times, but you got to play MST3K for the rest, Samuel does his Samuel thing, shit blows up, and you too can horrify and amuse a movie theater by yelling out THE LINE the same time he does.

I've seen at least a dozen movies in the past 18 months I was "supposed to" like more than this goofy little thing, but this goofy little thing knows what it is, embraces it, bathes in it, and says, "Hey, c'mon, it's okay, you, too."

Expect the basic canons of horror movies to be in there and tweaked, even get a little high or drunk (I probably would be saying this is the BEST MOVIE EVAH~!! had I done either or both of those things), grab your friends (because seeing this alone is I'm convinced like going to see Rocky Horror alone), if you're squeamish check your barf bag, and just sit back and enjoy.

***.

Song With A Mission the Sounds

3 comments:

Deborah said...

Fortunately, you said you watched Snakes On A Plane, and not that sacriligeous pile of crap with the Duff sisters in it.

Thank goodness... :P

Daniel Womack said...

Saw a stupid movie myself yesterday. BEERFEST. It is just what it claims to be. Beer, bare breasts and burp jokes. That and a good amount of bad German accents.
Really stupid movie but quite entertaining all the same.

Oricon Ailin said...

Sounds like you had a good time! I wanted to see this, but don't know if I could handle it in the theatre. This is a top priority on my DVD rental list though. I like kooky movies that are kinda predictable.

Thanks for the review!! Have a great day, Butch!