4/7/06

Last Night A DJ Saved My Life

So originally!

The plan was to suffer through my get-paid-for-30-but-work-about-115 week watching my grandmother and finding a way to celebrate my brother's 18th. The night after that, DJ AM was going to spin at Belo, a revamped club downtown. I was going to celebrate my freedom with some friends and rock out to some badass mashups.

And then excrement slammed into the cooling device.

My friends all lamed out the night before. I got 7 hours sleep in 2 days. And Grandma seeing a bunch of shit that wasn't there yesterday had me good and depressed to the point where I was going to bail on it. And then, right around the time I was going to chuck it for good, I remembered something I learned from Seinfeld & Philosophy.

See, the little man knows all. You got to listen to the little man. -- Cosmo Kramer

And in this case, the little man said "Fuck them! Live your life!"

So I hurriedly got some shit together, and headed over solo to see it. They complained about price. And going to work tomorrow. My counterargument was that greatness is fleeting, and any chance to experience it is totally worth it.

Yeah, I totally won that one.

Three and a half hours of nonstop awesome. The shirt I just got back from the cleaners is going right back there, the undershirt's going in the hamper, the slacks are getting a wash. And my pinkie toe's got a mother of a blister or something or other. It wasn't even that the warmup act was horrible or anything, it was DJ AM was so awesome I forgave him for Nicole Richie, being in Crazy Town, and 43% of the sins of the white man. Some of the major highlights of one long highlight:

-- He played "Respect" back-to-back with "Please Mr. Postman".

--He played "Please Mr. Postman" and "Tainted Love" and had the brains to not take the pussy way out and follow them up with "Oh Yes" or god forbid "SOS".

--His FUCK THAT SHIT sticker on his comp from www.unamerican.com.

--The consecutive Slick Rick playings of Children's Story and Mona Lisa, then mixed.

--The absolutely ridculous melding of Lionel Richie (ha HA!)'s All Night Long with Tell Me When To Go. By the way, there's going dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb, and there's doing so to Lionel Richie, and I got to say, the second way is way better.

--Bringing in the motherfucking guitars! You Shook Me All Night Long? Yeah, boy. Seven Nation Army? Uh-huh. Lithium, Come As You Are and Smells Like Teen Spirit all seperate from each other? And you know this, man!

--The mandatory playing of Don't Stop Believin'.

--Hearing the DMX/Franz Ferdinand mashup live instead of from the MS site.

--In a heretofore unspeakable display of just having the cojones to do it, Sweet Caroline --> Your Love --> Take Me Home --> Jessie's Girl. You read that right: Neil Diamond to the Outfield to Eddie Money to Rick Springfield. Ye gods.

--What could make me dance to I Think We're Alone Now? You guessed it: Hoochie Mama.

--Oh, and towards the end, the Lean With It, Rock With It/Iron Man followed by the Wanksta/We Will Rock You displays.

--And the whole playing Another One Bites The Dust background for Hollaback Girl.

So, yeah, I rule, but not as much as DJ AM. And my friends for laming out--Attell 3:16 is in effect. Now, since I actually get my weekly sleep in my bed tonight, I plan on wearing that fucker OUT.

np: "Shake It Off/Tears Of A Clown" by DJ AM/Mariah Carey/Smokey Robinson & the Miracles

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If I weren't such a good friend, I'd have a good mind to put you in a headlock for blasphemy.-Aaron