1/22/04

We Continue Nobody Remembers That 80's Band But Your Stinking Ass Week On KWBR With Some Timbuk3...

Wellllllll...

Sure, I could regale you about the burgeoning dictatorship with my name, or dabble in some Super Bowl hype, or the new Spanish class I'm just getting into, amigo.

But y'all don't want to hear me, you just wanna dance.

More accurately, you want the latest Cristal updates and the sooner the better. Since the advent of the Comment age, the last posting was the most popular even if that idjit Mike skewered it.

So today, then? Yeah.

So I accidentally went down to pick up my check around the same time she got off work. All right, it was an elaborate plot to see her specifically. AND pick up my check. Worst comes to worst I miss her somehow and pick up a sandwich to munch on during PTI. Like Candide, nothing could go wrong in this the best of all possible worlds.

That's when things started getting wonky.

No check, and I'm about to leave the building when my friend on the east dock says they're throwing a party at the end of the building--the 15th Anniversary party rescheduled because of the wildfires--and there's free food.

MMM...free.

So I amble over there and guess who that's who. I agree to meet her after her shift ends in a half an hour, thus giving me time to gorge myself on sushi, rolled chicken tacos, and Sprite. Thank Self I decided to do this because otherwise I would've missed this entirely. Anyway, she says today she scored her ride so she'll swing by to pick me up. What a pleasant surprise. I should preface this by saying she's notoriously late and I hear the checks been dropped off. So I walk to the back...

...right as she steps into the door I open.

Every so often, y'know. Every so often.

So we stand around waiting for the checks to show up and talk. About 10 people see us talking together which is really going to stem the rumor tide but FUCK THEM stronger message to follow. We get the checks and we're heading towards my place and we discuss Sunday. I proffer a few friendly games of pool after the movie lets out, and she says very fetchingly "You remembered I like pool!" I'm thinking internally I could probably memorize the Klan initiation speech if YOU told me to do it but I stifled the little voice.

We arrive.

But we sit in the car half an hour.

She's going through all my CDs from R.E.M. to More Music From 8 Mile with the chewy Johnny Cash center and putting in some N.E.R.D. and Outkast and we're sitting there talking and talking.

Upstairs.

My little brother and dad say hi and we head into my room.

Sadly, no, that did not happen, inasmuch fun as it would've been.

But I get her orange juice a couple of times, we sit and talk some more, the bed collapses as it's prone to do. I put on some Coldplay. Sadly, no, that didn't happen because of "Warning Sign", "Amsterdam", and "The Scientist", inasmuch fun as it would've been. The "hey, since you're right against her looking at the computer screen why not kiss her?" voice has been sacked. Three hours went by with her in a nod of the head. Yearbook pictures, book collection, past journalism awards all were brought up and shown. Plus, she didn't see my room and immediately vomit. You're entirely right, I should've just asked her to elope right there. I lend her 8 Mile and it's goodbye and I'm not going to see her for two days!

Blast this calendar.

This has to be a date. Who hangs out with someone they work with for 3 hours when they don't have to? My friend on Tuesday was right, we're both single, we're making plans days ahead of time...I told Rob it just walked and talked like a duck.

After today?

It's a fucking duck.

Two days.

Stay healthy.

Get ready.

(Ooh, I could have two of the three resolutions down in the first month. Go go go go go go go meeeeee it's my birfday...)

Currently playing: Blur's "Song 2"

No comments: